An occasional blog on U.S. politics.

Friday, July 01, 2005

Enough with all the nonsense

I'm still standing by my Garza prediction for Chief Justice. In the meantime, O'Connor's seat really is up for grabs. There are so many dang possibilities. Redstate is reporting a possible Cornyn appointment, but they later backed off. So nobody really knows.

I would say Edith Clements is the natural choice. She has a limited paper trail and has demonstrated a liking for a very narrow reading of the Interstate Commerce Clause; she would be an effective stealth conservative nominee, defusing some of the insanity that will certainly ensue in the double-whammy bloodsport we'll be witnessing in the next few days.

By the way, the O'Connor nomination enhances what I said in my last post: Bush pretty much has to nominate someone directly to Chief Justice. There is no way activist conservatives (or, for that matter, the Bush Administration) could handle the elevation of anyone but Thomas or Scalia, and that would be an untenable position for Bush and Senate Republicans; one of the three would almost definitely not make it.

So there you go. My new blog has been pretty much exclusively devoted to Supreme Court stuff. Maybe in the next couple days I'll write about something else.

But probably not.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, I didn't think Pat Sajak was on even the longest shortlist. Or the shortest longlist.

What is the longest shortlist anyway? Isn't that like finding the world's tallest midget?

I guess you measure it.

10:49 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home